""

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies For the Soul

In case you haven't noticed, I've been on blog hiatus since October. And with good reason; I've been nibbling on a Pizza the Hut size portion of butternut mac n' cheese since then. The remainder of my time has been devoted to designing, researching, drawing, and laying out the artwork for my Serious Business 2013 Celebrity Death Calendar. It's no joke, but it is very amusing. Order yours here.
In the interim, several requests were made for recipes from Chez Marsella. Today we tackle the latest one: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies For the Soul. I call them that because the requestee said something to the effect of "I feel like these cookies are feeding my soul". I'm also tickled by the memory of my parents gifting me Chicken Soup for the Soul books as an adolescent, which I suspect may have been a reaction to my premature Jim Morrison obsession. Mom, Dad, is there a connection there?

That line of books became too popular for its own good. There's a Chicken Soup title for freaking everything (the combination of bold, italics and underlining are meant to express my outrage, not to abuse the formatting buttons). It's not right I tell you, and the proof is in the pudding. Directly from their website, I present to you Chicken Soup titles in all their ridiculous majesty:
Chicken Soup for the Soul: I Can't Believe My Cat Did That!
Chicken Soup for the Soul: Say Goodbye to Back Pain!
Chicken Soup for the Soul: O Canada
Chicken Soup for the Soul: NASCAR
Chicken Soup for the Woman Golfer’s Soul
Chicken Soup for the Soul: Family Matters ( I like to imagine this is about the sit-com)
Chicken Soup for the American Idol Soul
Is there anything less soulful than a woman golfer's soul? Yes. NASCAR and back pain. In my infinite wisdom, I recommend you nourish with your soul (and your body) with these oatmeal cookies, not with a book about American Idol.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies For the Soul
adapted from “Clean Food” by Terry Walters  
Makes 4 dozen
3 cups rolled oats (or combination of rolled and quick)
1 cup brown rice flour*
1 ½ cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1 ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1 ripe banana
1 cup maple syrup (the genuine article, please. No offense to the offensive Aunt Jemini and Mrs. Butterworth)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup raw pepitas
½ cup raw sunflower seeds
¼ cup chia seeds
½ cup cacao nibs (or chocolate chips) or raisins (or both)
*If you feel like splurging, teff flour is glorious in this recipe. It gives the cookie a chewy texture that, in the words of Mike Cole, “Like, coats your mouth and feels really gooooood.” Also, feel free to use whatever nuts you like instead of or in addition to the seeds. Just aim for a total of 1 1/4 cups of nutty seedage.Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, coconut, cinnamon and salt.
In a separate bowl, mash the banana, then whisk in the syrup, applesauce and vanilla.
Gradually pour wet ingredients into dry and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until evenly combined. Fold in seeds and chocolate chips or raisins.
Press dough into equal-sized balls, place onto parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

Bodily nourishment takes the form of Phosphorus and Selenium (rolled oats), Manganese (brown rice flour, shredded coconut & maple syrup), Vitamin C (applesauce), Potassium (banana), antioxidants & minerals (raisins), protein & Vitamin E (pepitas & sunflower seeds ), and omega-3 fatty acids (chia seeds).

A final word concerning nutrition. These cookies are loaded with fiber. "Loaded with fiber" is my euphemism for doody-inducing. "Doody-inducing" is a nice way of saying they will clean you out. "They will clean you out" is Emily Post's recommended word choice to politely communicate that BM's are on the horizon. "BM's are on the horizon" is the title of my upcoming cookbook. Look for it on the Chicken Soup Website. It may be under the title Chicken Soup for the Constipated Soul.

1 comment:

  1. Can I just point out that this post was unintentionally published at 11:11 on 12-12-12? Numbers are cool.

    ReplyDelete